Nostell Priory & Parkland
The Palladian style house was built in 1733 on the site of a medieval priory dedicated to Saint Oswald, from which it takes its name. The house contains many treasures, including a large collection of Chippendale furniture made specially for the house, a fine art collection, a remarkable 18th century dolls house, one of the National Trusts finest libraries, and the John Harrison long-case clock with its rare mechanism made of wood.
The Trust has been involved with Nostell Priory since 1954, but it was only in December 2003, with the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund, that it was able to purchase the 346 acres of historic parkland to complete the property. The parkland had been closed off to the public for over 400 years, so with HLF support the Trust has appointed two posts to help firstly with the parkland restoration, and secondly with bringing the community into the parkland.
This of course was great news for us, because it means that there is now work for us to do on this West Yorkshire property, and we had our first ever task at Nostell on 23rd July 2006. As part of the restoration of the parkland, the jobs were involved in are:
- Woodland restoration — mainly rhododendron clearance, some thinning, and replanting.
- Fencing — restorating the old metal estate fencing, and establishing new stock fencing to enable successful grazing of the site.
- Tree planting — to re-establish original wooded areas that have been lost.
- Access & pathways — restoring all the original pathways, and expanding the pathway network and increasing the variety of user groups who use the parkland (e.g. horse riders, orienteering groups, dog walkers, less able groups, etc.).
Typical work done here
denotes our usual meeting point.
View Larger Map