Rievaulx Terrace is a ½-mile long grass terrace which was constructed over a period of eight years from 1749 by Thomas Duncombe II. It was created as a relaxing walk from which Duncombe and his guests could enjoy glorious views of the ruined Cistercian Rievaulx Abbey below and of Ryedale beyond.
Behind the terrace is a wooded area and at each end of the terrace stands a classical temple. The round Tuscan Temple was, like many similar rotundas, inspired by the Temple of Vesta at Tivoli near Rome, whereas the Ionic Temple (pictured above) was influenced by the Maison Carrée at Nîmes. The basement of the Ionic Temple was fitted out with a kitchen so that Duncombe could enjoy something to eat at the end of his tour.
Typical work here:
denotes our usual meeting point.
View Larger Map